Thursday 22 August 2013

221b Baker Street (BBC) and London Day Trip

 As part of my Harry Potter Studio Tour/BBC Proms weekend, we spent the Sunday afternoon catching the tubes around London for some site-seeing. My partner had only been to the capital once before, and we didn't have the chance to fit everything in back then, so we took advantage of the afternoon and noted down everywhere we missed previously.

 My favourite part of the day was when we headed off to the fake 221b Baker Street, used as a location where the BBC series Sherlock is currently filmed, starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman. Luke made it apparent to me during the day that I was carrying something rather appropriate, and if you are a fan of the Series One episode "The Blind Baker" you will know what I'm referring to in the picture below.
 Fake 221b Baker street can be found on North Gower Street, next to Speedys Cafe in central London. The cafe is also featured in the series but unfortunately it was closed the day we were there. If you're interested in visiting this location, especially with all the filming going on there at the moment, I'd recommend getting the train/tube to Euston Station. From here, head straight down Euston Street and then turn left on North Gower Street, where you will spot Speedys. Sherlock's door is to the left, as shown in the images below.
Image courtesy of BBC - A Study in Pink

 We also visited the outside of the Tower of London, which doubles as the headquarters of UNIT in Doctor Who and where Moriarty breaks into the Crown Jewels in BBC Sherlock. From here we spotted the recently constructed Shard building in the distance. The Shard is seen in the Doctor Who episode The Bells of Saint John, where The Doctor speeds up the side of the glass exterior on his motorcycle to save Clara. I won't go into anymore detail just incase anyone has not yet seen the episode. We also stopped at Trafalgar Square, following the route The Doctor and Clara take on his bike through the Admiralty Arch, and took photos infront of the fountains and Nelson's column. Trafalgar Square has been used for the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary episode filming, so it will be interesting to see how it will be incorporated later on in the year. 


Other stops during the day included Tower Bridge and Buckingham Palace. We were so lucky the weather was uncharacteristically beautiful and warm, as it made for a lovely day in the capital. 

 Hope you enjoyed my smaller post on my daytrip to London, I have just got back from a weekend (no camping) at V Festival in Staffordshire, it was a-mazing! My favourite acts included the likes of Calvin Harris, FIVE(!!!), Olly Murs, Rita Ora and The Script. I may do a little post about it in the near future so I can share some photos and top tips if you're planning on going to a festival. 

 I can't wait to write up my next planned post for you, featuring my day to Cardiff visiting the Tardis Set and Doctor Who Experience, I'll hopefully have it up and live in the next week or so!

 Hope you are all having a wonderful summer, I'm still on the lookout for the perfect job and I am toying with the idea of relocating elsewhere as there aren't as many opportunities in my tiny town. Other than that, it's my graduation in two weeks, can't wait :-) 

Thank you for reading, write to you again soon :-) 



2 comments:

  1. London is a city of plenty. It houses an amazing mélange of history, culture, art, science, technology, industrialization, and modernity. Your London Trip was great...Happy Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is, and I cannot wait to return :-) Thank you for taking time to read the post, Merry Christmas to you too!

      Delete