Monday 2 February 2015

Wales Comic Con 2014

On Sunday 30th November 2014, I decided to head up to Wrexham to Wales Comic Con (Part 2). It was my first time at this con, but I had heard great things. Luckily for me, the con itself is based in Glyndwr University (only a 45 minute drive from where I live) which is based just off the first island you get to in Wrexham. It is easily signposted and the car-parks are free to park in.

Myself and Luke arrived at the venue just after 11am, and by this time the queues had almost disappeared. We paid £10 for the ticket on the door which was located on the front of the building and were handed a programme each. This contained all of the exhibits on show as well as star guests and talks.

We decided to follow the crowd into the different areas and passed wrestlers, cast from In The Flesh and numerous fabulously dressed cosplayers. We then exited the building and were thrust into the sunlight. Thankfully, it was a lovely sunny day and we could have a nose around the props outside without catching a chill. Outside was Lightning Mcqueen from the Pixar film Cars, a humongous MarshMallow Man and Transformers Optimus Prime, BumbleBee and Barricade.





We then headed into the marquee opposite, where we were greeted by the sight of the TARDIS and a couple of friendly faces. It was Whovian Hire, who provide their very own TARDIS, monster costumes and cardboard cut outs for events. You can read more about them HERE.

I just had to have a photo, it was too good of an opportunity to miss... even though I do look incredibly awkward (There was a crowd of people waiting their turn after me.)


So next we headed back out and bumped into a parade of Star Wars characters - AMAZING. I even managed to grab a photo with a few of them... although the storm trooper looked particularly menacing.





So then we went into the main hall, where there were actors from Game of Thrones, BBC One's Atlantis, Torchwood, Red Dwarf and Doctor Who. There was also stalls full of merchandise, comics and prop replicas, which was great to have a nose around. I only had a small amount of money with me, so I had to choose who I would like to meet for an autograph. It was between Eve Myles from Torchwood or Ian McNeice from Doctor Who. I eventually chose the latter. Ian McNeice plays Winston Churchill in Doctor Who Series 5-6. However, he has a larger filmography than that. I remember him most acting alongside Jim Carey in Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls, one of my favourite childhood movies. He was a lovely gentleman who asked both myself and Luke to pose alongside a fake cigar... love it! Here's my photo with him, and I also bought a signed autograph below...



 Luke's meet and greet was next, and he met Storage Hunters Sean Kelly and Jesse McClure. He was soooo happy, and the guys were so popular with guests. Luke managed to get a selfie with them both which was awesome, (I definitely need to do this next time I meet Matt Smith) and I took a normal photo... pictures below...



We also caught sight of Fifth Doctor Peter Davidson, Alfie and Kat from Eastender's (who reenacted a scene infront of our eyes) and the best Bane cosplayer I have ever seen. (I was too intimidated to ask for a photo so I got Luke to ask!)


So we managed to grab some food on site before we left - lots of fast food trucks and we were happy with chips which were reasonably priced.

All in all we had a lovely day, I definitely want to head to Wrexham for Comic Con again, it was perfectly organised and very easy to find.

Look out for my upcoming posts... I have so much to write about and a Cardiff trip on the horizon :-)

Blog to you soon...

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this set of photos was awesome! Looks like you had a good time. I may be partial, but I loved the Tardis photo the best. General Grevious was a cool costume. Nice to see the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man is alive and doing well. Oh, and the two from Storage Hunters was cool to see too. Love that show.
    Once again, great set.
    Thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) And thanks to you for taking the time to read and comment :-) Keep an eye out for most posts soon!

      Delete